Thursday 12 July 2007

Blog Number One


Good morning (or afternoon or evening) ladies and gentlemen. This is Srivatsan aka The Wats posting my first blog. One may wonder why I’m a little late in posting my first ever blog. There a good many reasons for that. Here are some of them….


Reason 1:


Microsoft Word 2003. It may sound strange but that particular piece of software is what really pushed me away from working on my first blog. Imagine waiting for approximately 10 minutes for the computer to install the software, only to get the message that a piece of something is missing from somewhere and that installation is not possible. EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU CLICK ON THE FOOKIN’ ICON!! Pretty demoralising I must say.


Reason 2:


Sometime later, I got to know the wonderful world of Torrents a little better. I had heard of it back in school, in hushed tones of course, from guys who had downloaded whole games for free. They tried explaining to me about how it worked. I didn’t understand it then and I still don’t. Using this little innovation, I proceeded to download Microsoft Enterprise 2007. After an uneventful download period, I began the tedious and time consuming process of installing it. As installation began, my insides began to churn. This was not the usual sinking feeling one experiences, the sort you get when you’ve flunked 5 out of your 6 internals and come home to see an open mark sheet from college and your mom watching professional wrestling. This was different, like you’ve just run over your girlfriend’s pet Chihuahua with your second hand Maruti 800... As installation began, I realised that I had spent over 800MB of my 1GB download limit and over 2 days sitting in front of the computer downloading the Polish version of Microsoft Enterprise 2007.Yes POLISH. Although it looked very humourous with its excessive use of Ws, Xs, Js, Cs and Zs, it wasn’t really funny once I realised that I actually had to use it. After seriously considering getting hold of an English-Polish dictionary, I decided to slug it out and proceeded to download the whole thing again (there goes my 1 GB limit...). This time making sure it was in English.


Reason 3:


After another uneventful installation, I was ready to start blogging. Unfortunately, a 14 day residential (compulsory) placement training program was held in college and I had to say goodbye to my computer for a while. After the completion of the program, placements began and we had to prepare our CVs. Word 2007 came to our aid, like the proverbial knight in shining armour, and we managed to finish our CVs in time and mail them for printing at a ‘remote’ location. (Basically, we had no idea who was going to print them, so we mailed it to everyone on our list, including ourselves, to print it in college if the need arose.) The second I began to type my first blog, the computer crashed. After crashing it a few more times I realised that our knight in shining armour was really a sort of dark knight (or black knight or some such thing). The computer crashed every time I struck a key on the keyboard while in Word 2007. Someone up there really has a sense of humour….


Reason 4:


By far the biggest and most significant of all the reasons I have given has to be my volatile memory and laziness. Most of the time, I just forgot that my computer wasn’t exactly fighting fit and in those rare instances when I actually remembered, I was just too lazy to do anything about it. Now that alls well with the computer, blogging can begin!! (Hopefully)

2 comments:

Karthik Krishnaswamy said...

great first post man... microsoft word 2003 gives me this niggly problem saying something about my macros being disabled... microsoft is a sad company man... can't even make properly piratable software...

astute87 said...

Welcome lad.

Great first post!

And of course Happy Blogging.